Sushi

I recently came to the conclusion that I am probably eating raw fish far too often for it to be healthy. In fact, I eat sushi nearly every day... or at a minimum, 4-5 days per week.  With people always mentioning to me the dangers of mercury poisoning, often using the famous Jeremy Piven incident as an example, I decided to ask a doctor about it.

During my conversations with the doc, he actually agreed that I am consuming far too much mercury. However, he did say that it's even common for people who eat tuna sandwiches on a regular basis to also be consuming too much mercury.  Apparently, even one can of albacore tuna per week has the potential to elevate the mercury in your blood to dangerous levels.

The FDA recommends not exceeding more than 12 ounces of fish per week.  That is basically the equivalent to eating a single sashimi entrée, or having just 2 tuna sandwiches.  I was pretty surprised by these numbers!

NACSo, if you're like me and really have no desire to change your seafood eating habits, but at the same time, don't want to risk the possibility of one day developing mercury poisoning... what can you do?  Thankfully, there's an answer!

The doctor suggested taking a daily supplement called N-acetylcystine (NAC), which should help reduce the risks of mercury poisoning from eating fish (assuming you don't have any existing liver problems).  NAC is a glutathione precursor, which essentially helps your liver with removing toxins from the body, including mercury.  Taking 1000-1500mg of NAC on a daily basis will help ensure your liver maintains its optimal antioxidant capability.

Needless to say, after learning about all of this, I went to GNC and picked up a bottle of it.  Now that I'm armed with this Mercury-Poison-Protector-Supplement (cheesy, I know), I think it's time to go eat some sushi!

Joomla Templates and Joomla Extensions by JoomlaVision.Com

Comments (0)

Write comment

smaller | bigger

busy